Green buildings are buildings that reduce the negative impacts of the built environment on human health, the world’s climate, and the natural environment. They reduce the negative impacts throughout a buildings life-cycle through their energy saving and environmentally responsible design, construction, operation, and maintenance.
Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design
Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) is a green building certification program used worldwide. It was developed by the non-profit U.S. Green Building Council (USBGC).
Benefits of the program include:
- Verifies that a building was designed to improve energy and environmental quality.
- Verifies that sustainable strategies are achieved. These strategies include sustainable sites, water efficiency, energy and atmosphere, materials and resources, and indoor environmental quality.
- Provides a framework and standards for design, construction, operations, and maintenance of buildings.
- Provides a framework for healthy, highly efficient, and cost saving green buildings.
- Helps building management decrease operational costs.
- A great investment in energy efficiency and reduction in carbon emissions into the environment.
For further information on the LEED program please visit the U.S. Green Building Council (USBGC).
LEED Commercial Building Projects in Virginia
There are a number of LEED commercial building projects in Virginia and the Northern Virginia region. Detailed information on LEED projects in Virginia and the Northern Virginia region can be found on NVRC’s LEED dashboard.
LEED provides a point system to score green building design and construction. The system has five basic categories for scoring: Sustainable Sites, Water Efficiency, Energy and Atmosphere, Materials and Resources, and Indoor Environmental Quality. Buildings are awarded points based on the extent various sustainable strategies are achieved. The more points awarded the higher the level of certification achieved from Certified, Silver, Gold, to Platinum. The certification level of the Virginia and Northern Virginia region projects are found on the dashboard.