The Northern Virginia Waste Management Board has issued its new report, “Public Solid Waste Services in the Washington Metropolitan Region”. The report was issued at the end of May 2018. The report aggregates data mainly on the latest 2016 and 2017 data from 14 jurisdictions, with a particular focus on Northern Virginia.
Some report highlights:
- In 2016, Northern Virginia generated 1.47 million tons of municipal waste, 70,000 more tons than in 2014.
- Commercial businesses create the majority of waste in the region. Several jurisdictions report commercial tonnages comprising 63-72 percent of the waste stream.
- Population and urbanization create challenges.
- Municipal solid waste and construction demolition debris landfill capacity in Northern Virginia has diminished.
- The export of recyclables has become more challenging because of new Chinese policies that would ban some recycled materials from import.
The full report can be downloaded here. You can find information regarding the Northern Virginia Waste Management Board at: http://novaregion.org/207/Northern-Virginia-Waste-Management-Board