Job Title: Regional Demographer/Analyst
Location: Northern Virginia Regional Commission, 3040 Williams Drive, Suite 200, Fairfax, VA 22031
Closing Date/Time: July 12, 2019 - 5 PM
Job Type: Full-time, Regular Position – 2080 hours per year
Salary: $75,000-$95,000 annualized hiring range; subject to qualifications
Description: The Northern Virginia Regional Commission (NVRC) is currently recruiting qualified candidates for the full-time, regular position of Regional Demographer/Analyst. This position reports to the Director, Division of Planning and Environmental Services. It provides expertise in designing research projects (e.g. population studies relevant to workforce, housing, education/training, and the region’s economy); identifying, extracting, and analyzing data on a wide variety of subjects using GIS as an analytical and data display tool; and designing data graphics for effective presentation of complex information to diverse audiences with an interest in public policy. It will also serve as the Commission’s GIS subject matter expert providing critical agency-wide support to other employees/divisions and grant-funded programs
The successful candidate will be able to discuss multiple aspects of research topics and present findings in an appropriate and helpful manner; and provide information so that informed decisions impacting the region can be made.
Minimum Qualifications: Any combination of education, experience, and training equivalent to: Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with a master’s degree in demography, geography, sociology, urban and regional planning, statistics, or a related field with heavy concentration in research methods; PLUS at least three years of (1) managing or maintaining a large, centralized repository of demographic data, and (2) designing, completing, and communicating results, from demographic data research projects (samples may be requested and authorship verified).
- Experience in public sector making presentations to officials who shape public policy;
- Knowledge of programming software, design languages, mapping tools may be helpful;
- Some knowledge of analytical and presentation software like Tableau and/or Power BI;
- One year to two years of experience using GIS software
- Vacation, sick leave, and holidays with pay
- Health insurance (employer pays 80% of premium)
- Fully paid life insurance & long-term disability insurance policies
- Retirement program
- Workers compensation coverage
- Opportunity to enroll in medical & dependent care reimbursement plans and dental insurance plan
- Opportunity to participate in deferred compensation plan
- Free parking; on bus route
Applicants may be required to submit a request for a criminal history record check and/or credit check.
Submit resume, cover letter and salary requirements via mail or e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
No phone calls please.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER