Create an Account - Increase your productivity, customize your experience, and engage in information you care about.
NVRC is pleased to coordinate the activities of the Northern Virginia Waste Management Board. Northern Virginia has cooperated for over 30 years in the management of solid waste generated by residents and businesses.
The full report and Executive Summary can be found here: https://www.novaregion.org/583/Solid-Waste-Report
The 2021 report reveals the following challenges and solutions:
• Population growth and employment has increased commercial and multi-family waste generation.
• Limited facility and capacity challenges limit the region’s disposal and recycling options.
• The pandemic has negatively impacted local waste and recycling management and system economics.
• Hazardous and difficult to dispose of materials create a risk to the limited capacity of regional waste facilities.
• PaintCare offers an example of a product stewardship solution implemented in DC that could be replicated in Virginia.
• Purple Can Club glass recycling provides a regional solution to a challenging material.
• Jurisdictions are focused on reduction and reuse messaging to residents and businesses.